HOME             LANDLORDS             TENANTS             PROPERTIES             LOCAL AREA             UK NETWORK             CONTACT
Guide for Landlords
Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure
that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. For brief details of a subject
click on a blue link below, or scroll down the page. If you require further advice or assistance with any
matter, please do not hesitate to
contact us:
If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting.
They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.
If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain the necessary written
consent before letting.
If you are a tenant yourself, you will require your landlord's consent.
You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents
insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We can advise on Landlord's
Legal Protection, and Landlord's Contents insurance if required.
Bills and regular outgoings
We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. mortgage, service charges, maintenance
contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However, where we are Managing the
property, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided
such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.
Council tax
Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. You should inform your local collection office that
you are leaving the property. During vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner. When unoccupied
but furnished, the charge is 50% of the normal rate. When unoccupied and 'substantially' unfurnished,
there is no charge for the first six months, and thereafter a charge of 50% of the normal rate.
The inventory
It is most important that an inventory of contents and schedule of condition be prepared, in order to
avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy. Without such safeguards, it will be impossible
for the landlord to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents.
In order to provide a complete service to the landlord, we will if requested arrange for a member of
staff to prepare an inventory and schedule of condition, at a cost to be quoted.
Income tax
When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of
rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK
during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6 April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held,
we as landlord's agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an
amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. An application
form for exemption from such deductions is available from this Agency, and further information may
be obtained from the Inland Revenue.

<< back
Home   .   Contact Us   .   Site Map   .   Links
T: 07919 554271

All material on this website is provided for information only, and is not intended to form part of any offer or contract. Our policies and practices
may change at any time without notice. Details of properties are provided from information received, and their accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Copyright Foley Estates, 2008